About Keys of the Kingdom

2016-04-14 (updated 2016-04-14)
This is an ok puzzle game. Difficulty progression is good. But the 100 levels it comes with are the whole game. No level editor, no DLC. Something I would expect as an NES game (but with 16-bit quality). The voice-overs are high quality and numerous. More sound effects than are to be expected from a puzzle game. The 11 medieval style classical guitar ogg files (seemingly DRM-free) installed with the game are worth well more than the ninety-nine cents I spent on the game (I'd up to say $6 is fair). The Scriptures shown between levels (that can be skipped after a few seconds) seem to bear no connection at all to each puzzle (or even the game itself). Sir Lancelot and his horse offer a few seconds of entertainment and are terribly underused for this purpose. There is also many missed opportunity concerning the story. Sir Lancelot making his way to appeal to the King who has, under terrible advice, forbidden private ownership of land. This has huge connotations concerning the subjects of property, authority, history. They present Sir Lancelot as the not-so-heroic character of the Arthurian tales. But are merely poking fun at the character, not actually revealing any of his flaws as shown in the original material. The situation brings to mind Martin Luther appealing to the Pope when opposed by the Pope's bishops (among other authorities). Also what the Holy Bible has to say about property ownership. And the history of England when Nordic kings imposed Forest Law (i.e. the king owns everything). And of course, the Arthurian cycle.