scoreless reviews

2016-11-01 (updated 2016-11-01)
Including scoreless reviews has been discussed before (with no conclusions?).

It occurs to me that a scoreless review can be approximated using editor's judgement and a 1-5 scale.
1 reviewer said only (or almost only) negative things
2 reviewer said mostly negative things
3 reviewer said negative and positive things
4 reviewer said mostly positive things
5 reviewer said only (or almost only) positive things

I have another thought as well. A 0-2 rating scale: positive=2, negative=0, mixed=1. This also can be applied to "Buy, don't buy, buy if style reviews.

I think the scales from these types of reviews should hold less weight in a weighted average. A game with mixed reviews could easily get a skewed rating based in thumbs up or down reviews.

2016-11-01
Giving scoreless reviews a score is problematic. I don't think I like that idea. But I see a need to be able to enter such reviews in a way that the reader gets to know that the game was reviewed there. So instead of a score there might be an option to mark the review as scoreless as a means to be able include the info about the magazine issue number it can be found in.

2016-11-01
I think I add a couple of scoreless reviews, because of a typo with the magazine and the score was not visible. Most of the time, the following issue of the magazine correct that and finally tells the score of the game previously reviewed, but that's not always true.

BTW, I tend to agree with teran01 and would prefer not to give approximate score just by reading the review. Mark the review as "scoreless" is the best option IMO.

2016-11-01
re: scoreless reviews
I think the scales from these types of reviews should hold less weight in a weighted average. A game with mixed reviews could easily get a skewed rating based in thumbs up or down reviews.

Mixed reviews, when considering a large number of reviews rather than individual reviews, usually means that the game has less widespread appeal but does have appeal to a certain subgroup (niche games are this way).