tagsug: language interpretation

2016-11-09
We need a group indicating characters must deal with different languages spoken or written in-game.

Examples:
Link to the Past has written script /language that Link must use the Book of Mudora to translate.

Long gone days uses this as a game mechanic. There is an interpretation skill and having members of your party that speak different languages is of great benefit (required even?)

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. An import plot point hinges on what languages the troops speak and the player can effect this.

Way of the Samurai 4 uses an inverse solution to this issue. The player's character does not learn other languages. Rather he ensures a language school stays open so all the other characters are forced to learn his language. Oh the stereotyping!

The Ultima series uses a cypher script. Ultima VII is designed such that players are expected to eventually learn to read the script without using the reference materials (though this is not required. This is not like the other examples; I mention it as contrast.

2016-11-11
The following tags are related to the thing you describe but don't really say that you Must somehow translate and understand them: Artistic language, Fictional language, and Cipher language.

Generally I'd probably go with `linguistics´ activity tag, but that seems inappropriate for ciphers.

As a recent example of another type: in No Man's Sky you need to collect language components to the alien language which slowly automatically translates the alien tongue for you. I think this has been done in several older games too, though I can't recall what they were.