WASD IJKL HJKL Arrows numpad etc

2017-11-09 (updated 2017-11-09)

I've been thinking of how to group keyboard directional control schemes (with tags). Many platforms have schemes associated with them or rarely have them for various reasons. For instance, numeric pad is not common on non-IBM PCs. IJKL was common for Apple ][. WASD for 1st-person games (clear back to the Plato platform). Commodore used LeftArrow-RightArrow-ShiftLeftArrow-ShiftRightArrow (because there were no up and down on early systems). Sinclais favored 5678. This can be interesting when a game is ported or cloned and keeps the original controls rather that using the expected ones for the new platform. Also is used for nostalgia. I recall that many Lode Runner clones, and even later official games in the series, enable IJKL by default. Because the original Apple ][ version used IJKL. This goes hand-in-hand with non-directional control schemes. Ctrl-Alt-Shift, LeftShift-RightShift (or Ctrl, Alt, Super, Meta), 0., /*-+, DXCVspace

If editors are interested in this, I'll start a list.
Also, might suggest alternative ways to group directional control schemes. Such as inverted T, T, Horizontal 4 (HJKL), Diamond 8 (roguelike), Bent Horizontal (ASDC), Diamond 4 (QWAS), HJKL, bent diamond (IJKM).

2017-11-10
Personally I think this goes too deep down for tagging purposes, but if you want to do this do it.