Missing platforms

2007-11-08 (updated 2007-11-08)
1) Obviously we need a separate platform for games like [[gameid:158941 Froggr]]. It's a web browser extension, and I'm pretty sure there are plenty of such games for a variety of browsers that are far from "internet only". I'm not really sure if these are worth having here, though.

2) Same for any [[gametag:gamebook gamebooks]], if we're going to catalog these.

3) Although Internet Only is descriptive in some manner, it seems to promote abuse as there are numerous games set as Internet Only even though they're clearly for some specific platform (resolution and hardware acceleration requirements and platform specific API usage are blatant pointers for such). The only valid games I know for that one are [[gametag:mud MUD]]s, [[gametag:bbsdoor BBS door]] games, [[gametag:browser browser-based]] games and some [[gametag:java Java]]/[[gametag:javalanguage Javascript]] games. I've already moved several Windows MMO games out of that platform and the ones left are either valid or either so obscure that I could not find any info on them or they're for platforms with less than a dozen games (e.g. [[gametag:plato PLATO]]). There also seems to be a lot of misinformation in there.

Soooo... Internet Only should probably be changed to Browser (that excludes Flash/Shockwave and Java), and something that would bundle telnet (MU*s) and BBS door games (Telnet probably would, actually. Not too sure). If not, then the description of Internet Only needs to be made MUCH better so it doesn't function as some form of dumpster for unspecified/other platforms.

2007-11-09
re: Missing platforms
There are _a_lot_ more [[gametag:plato PLATO]]) games, as well as [[gametag:hp3000 HP-3000/e3000]] games. The games for these systems are nearly exclusively home brew and somewhat obscure. Many of them may currently only exist as a source code printout somewhere. Games were not considered a 'proper' use of these systems and administrates usually active sought out to deleted them. The Plato platform was active for 46 years. The e3000 is currently still being supported, since 1973, 34 years and counting. I'm just not sure where to look to get good information about these games.

2007-11-09
I was referring to what we had in UVL floating around in other seemingly unrelated platforms :)

2015-04-02
re: Missing platforms

Soooo... Internet Only should probably be changed to Browser (that excludes Flash/Shockwave and Java), and something that would bundle telnet (MU*s) and BBS door games (Telnet probably would, actually. Not too sure). If not, then the description of Internet Only needs to be made MUCH better so it doesn't function as some form of dumpster for unspecified/other platforms.

I know this thread is very very old but the "Internet Only" platform problem (which was discussed several times that it is not optimal) is still existant and needs to be renamed/split into more appropriate 'platforms'.

2017-03-17
Revisiting this thread since this still needs to be fixed and we now have better ability to deal with it.

Internet Only should, as far as I understand, be split into following:
* Client-side HTML (really HTML+Javascript, e.g. most Twine games)
* Server-side HTML (e.g. Legend of the Green Dragon)
* Remote shell [Telnet, SSH, etc.] (e.g. most MUDs with no required custom client)
* Browser add-on (browser-specific extensions, plugins, add-ons, apps, etc.)

Personally I wouldn't bother with browser add-ons.

Client-side and server-side distinction with HTML is probably unnecessary (though similar to how some consoles have their expansion media peripheral as separate platform, IMO), though we don't really have anything to flag a game that's online-only and single player-only simultaneously. Meaning it can only be played online but is not played with other people, which makes very little sense, but there's plenty games like that (most infamously Diablo 3 when played singleplayer).

Gamebooks as mentioned in the original post have started since then appearing as standalone platform specific games, so the genre now exists outside of HTML games and is not relevant statement, it's good as it is as game genre.
BBS door games similarly require the platform specific proprietary per-game door application, I don't know if there's any generic thing you could use with them like telnet to play them, but they don't need their own platform as long as there is no generic one.

Anyway, the final list would be: HTML and remote shell. Possibly include browser add-on on top.