About Browser-based(HTML)[HTML4;HTML5]

2007-11-08 (updated 2013-06-24)
Use only for browser-based server-side games, we have platforms and other tags for other cases.
Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_game#Server-side_games

For other games, you usually add Java tag or use Flash platform. There are however offline HTML5 games, and offline HTML4 gamebooks.

This is NOT for games that are implemented as plugins or similar for specific browsers.

2011-09-26
About Angry Birds : it is not only implemented as a plugin for Chrome, I tried to play it on FireFox and it worked.

2011-09-26
Seems like it's HTML5 game (WebGL, Canvas, etc.) like FastKat, but it's been made fully playable offline (Chrome is provided with a trivial method to do that at least).

Still, it is excluded in the first exclusion of this tag, it has no server-side components.

My excuse for mistaking Angry Birds Chrome for a plugin is that it's in the Chrome web store and the game's website itself only advertises Chrome.

2011-09-26
I guess this tag needs to be redefined a bit and add new sub tags for server and client side cases.

2013-06-25
This could easily be confused with Native Client games. That is, the game plays on native hardware, locally, and possibly off-line, its not necessarily written in HTML5, Java, or Flash (i could even be written in assembly, though this would kinda defeat the cross-platform nature of the operation). Currently this is only be done through the directing of the Chrome browser. Other browsers have not implemented this but easily can (the technology is open source, and competing systems might be developed as well.) Native Client can also be achieved independent of the browser and an internet connection.

2013-06-25
Another problem with this, yes. This should be probably be named HTML[4] or something (there's separate tag for HTML5). Or not. There should be a generic browser-based tag/platform. GNaCl itself is a browser-based technology, but limited to one browser (compare Unity Web Player for example or Java Applet).

2013-06-26
GNaCl is also for Chrome OS I think, so browser tie with that is a bit weird (OS built around a browser). I think GNaCl should be treated the same as Flash, at least if it gets support outside of Chrome, otherwise it's just Chrome thing and not a generic browser thing as this tag is for.