scholarly updates

2021-07-21
Quoted from Wikipedia:
The Caucasian race (also Caucasoid or Europid) is an outdated racial classification of human beings based on a now-disproven theory of biological race.

The same is true of many (all?) terms used in the Protagonist Ethnicities Group. All this needs to be changed at UVL.

I would certainly want it noted that all the John Madden Football originally used one skin tone for all players because the limitations of computing power made it impractical to have the gameplay it did and skintones. And this is legit, not like Women are too hard to animate. Pixar had already solved this issue with Universal Man. I grant their solution had problems but a complete lack of female background characters in their movies is not one of them. But back to Madden, multiple skin tones on the Apple II was not practical. The complexity of the simulation of the original JMF was barely possible at all on the Apple II, skin tone just wasn't doable without sacrificing game mechanics. But here's the rub, for 6 years no JMF series game used multiple skintones regardless of the capabilities of the systems they were running on. Atari 8-bit, for example, was depicting multiple skintones in 1979! multiple skintones were attempted before JMF even on the Atari VCS! I would like UVL to note that hardware limitations even more restrictive that the VCS did not prevent Sega from including a multiple skintones in Heavyweight Champ.

I would argue that UVL does not need outdated racial classifications. Consider, for instance, these simple group ideas:
multipleskintones
multiplecultures
multiplenationalities

There's much more to note. I've kinda just stuck to one issue here. But this seems a good start.

2021-07-21
Old or new, it's not likely I am going to use these tags anyway. Didn't even knew these existed. Computer game characters skintones interest me as much as computer game characters hair color... zero. But if you think that people these days might feel uncomfortable seeing outdated racial tag names or you want to be just more precise about the current scientific findings, go ahead and change them the way you want.

2021-07-25
Its not the skin tones. As I said, I kinda just stuck to one issue in my post. There is an old battle for entertainment in general, including computerized entertainment, of the created world not being a perfect reflection of the current reality that the entertainment supposedly aims to recreate. Perfection, obviously, an ideal and not fully achievable (at least until we can play games without knowing we are playing a game, this will happen eventually). And I'm not discounting dramatic license. Changing the race, gender, nationality, culture, etc, of characters for dramatic purposes is totally legitimate. I'm concerned with sacrifices are made for technical reasons. And at other times, the reflection of reality is altered for political, social, marketing, or others reasons. For example, in Shakespeare's time, the male and female roles in theater were played only by males.

Suppose an old game, otherwise as detailed as practicality allows in economics, governments, laws, national jurisdictions, etc, has dozens of pirate characters that are all white French middle-class heterosexual males 35-40 years old and they all have large warships while places and characters are otherwise international. This is not an accurate reflection since pirates originated from many nationalities, though most were from the British Isles, most of them would be classed below lower-class (before), most were 20 to 30 and ages ranged from generally 18-59, one-third of them had naturally dark skin, hundreds of females were participants in piracy, well over half of pirate ships were small sloops and very rarely large warships, etc, etc... So questions arise. Why would an otherwise accurate game have these inaccuracies? Each inaccuracy begs the questions; Technical? Dramatic? Social? Oversight? Rushed production? Legal? Ignorance? Bigotry? Political? It is not just the answers here that would be interesting. The next step is, when, where, why, and how did what other games have solved, or not, these same questions?

I realize the Protagonist Ethnicities have exactly the same purpose. But, they are wrong, therefore, not as effective of a scholarly tool.

2021-07-25
Each inaccuracy begs the questions; Technical? Dramatic? Social? Oversight? Rushed production? Legal? Ignorance? Bigotry? Political? It is not just the answers here that would be interesting. The next step is, when, where, why, and how did what other games have solved, or not, these same questions?

Could be interesting for a gaming related scientific work. But trying to display this via tags in a UVL entry? Big challenge.

2021-07-26
re: re:
Could be interesting for a gaming related scientific work. But trying to display this via tags in a UVL entry? Big challenge.

Yes