About PLATO platform

2008-09-23
I don't think Internet Only is appropriate for it, despite the focus on having a mainframe which people use through distributed terminals. They function much like an application server with terminals scattered, like some companies do for their internal network so their employees don't have anything of the real computer near them except a monitor and peripherals, any uses of VPN, SSH terminal sessions in Linux, and so on. It also seems to require special terminal hardware, separating it even farther from other Internet Only games. It would be more appropriate if it gave the games straight away when connecting to the mainframe, but I seriously doubt it gives more than a regular terminal session.

PLATO getting its own platform here in UVL would be appropriate as such.

2008-09-23
Yes, I've said so before. PLATO should have its own platform. Now is a great time for this because there _finally_ a lot of interest in discussion PLATO in public forums. Books, periodicals, online media, online forums, online chats, personal homepages and games databases are now getting PLATO info out in the world.
There is and interesting war developing that may elevate to the same level as Nintendo vs Sega once did. PLATO fans are claiming PLATO is the ultimate source of all games (ie: MUDs & MMPOGs/MMORPGs began on PLATO, RPG's began on PLATO, persistent worlds began on PLATO, 3D games began on PLATO, Serious games began on PLATO, Open Source began on PLATO, Beta testing began on PLATO, Sci-Fi games began on PLATO, etc). On the otherside of this war is the actual game programmers and fans of their games who know the real details of the games. Good news is this is leading to lots and lots of documentation and facts. There's even a book being written that's dedicated to PLATO.
I went with Internet Only because I just recently found out how prevalent remote access to the PLATO mainframes was and how interconnected the mainframes were. I previously thought PLATO was a mainframe designed with local terminal access in mind and remote access as an option. I didn't realize that most of the users on the system were not even on the same site as the mainframes (or that their was even more than one PLATO mainframe). Additionally, I only recently found out that PLATO was assessable using ordinary home PCs. PLATO cartridges were made for TI-99/4a and Atari 8-bit computers. This type of access was very similar to the early AOL and Prodigy ISPs.

Oh, and there's cyber1.org, PLATO is emulated. Not just the hardware and software, but the whole PLATO community experience.

Yes, PLATO should get its own platform.