About Divine champion(Hellish champion)

2009-07-01 (updated 2013-09-14)
The messiah bit here does not refer strictly the Judeo-Christianic one, but any character appointed by a god to do some Great Thing or a character who's otherwise powerful religious figure that fits that.

Powerful religious figure generally refers to unearthly power here, not charismatic or hierarchical power, unless that is somehow put to give them extraordinary capacity for enforcing change or things to happen.

2013-09-10 (updated 2013-09-10)
What the HELL?!
The protagonist is a champion of some god or gods.

How is this the definition of Messiah? Look it up.

I don't think we even need this group. Certainly not as it is described.

2013-09-13
messiah : n. An extremely powerful divine figure.

and there's: dictionary.reference.com/browse/messiah?s=t

When used by Christians it solely refers to Jesus though (specifically when capitalized), but that's not its only meaning.

The tag also has had the "needs renaming" bit in for quite some time. I guess it could be quickly renamed to "divine champion" or something, I haven't really had any good ideas for this since adding it.

I don't think we even need this group. Certainly not as it is described.

As it is described, it occurs in several video games as shown by the games included.

2013-09-14
Renamed to divine champion and left messiah as synonym. Not the best solution but it's there.

2013-09-14
Why remove the messiah synonym? It fits perfectly what the tag is about in its meaning, even if not its specific use by Christians (we're not dictating content based on views of single religion I would hope).

2013-09-19
Messiah is not an English word, its Hebrew. Jewish orthodoxy, most people of Jewish faith and most people of Jewish heritage do not associate the word with Jesus. Christians don't use the word to refer to Jesus nearly as often as they use Savior or Christ (Christ is another word for Messiah in a differnt language. Savior in this sense is a refernce to what The Christ is and does). Using Messiah as an alternate name for the group would be simular to using Pixie and an alternate name of a Sauna group (where even using Gnome would be inaccurate).

2013-09-19
The original meaning doesn't really matter, but rather how people use the word now, which stands for pretty much all this tag is about. At most it would be shunted to be synonym of savior tag, but that's the farthest its meaning differs.
Using Messiah as an alternate name for the group would be simular to using Pixie and an alternate name of a Sauna group (where even using Gnome would be inaccurate).

No, just no.

2013-09-19
The original meaning doesn't really matter, but rather how people use the word now, which stands for pretty much all this tag is about. At most it would be shunted to be synonym of savior tag, but that's the farthest its meaning differs.
Using Messiah as an alternate name for the group would be simular to using Pixie and an alternate name of a Sauna group (where even using Gnome would be inaccurate).

No, just no.

Also, if i were to look for its original meaning, it fits even better than what is found in English dictionaries, since it simply stands for "anointed" and is generally used to refer to kings and priests, specifically who are saviors. How that wouldn't match the divine champion concept is beyond me. Though this is more restricted interpretation than the colloquial one.