Point-and-click adventure

2009-10-17
I was thinking that the point&click adventure tag is pointless. Wouldn't it be much simpler to just state the game uses mouse solely? The only problem is games of that type that are on systems without mouse. So, reducing the tag to describe only the control system (point & click) would be better and have broader uses.

source: www.uvlist.net/groups/info/clickadventure

2009-10-17
The tag is not from me, but I have to defend it. The term "point & click" in computer games is mostly associated with adventure games. There exists a common expression "point and click adventure". There is no such expression for strategy games, management/business games etc, where mouse control via point&click is the normal control method. And I like tags that describe subgenres much more than tags which can be given for every second game in existance.

So, in my eyes a tag "point and click" is not needed. If you want to create this tag however the question is indeed whether the tag clickadventure is still needed or not. This question can be answered when another question can be answered. And that question goes: When I make a combined search of genre: adventure and tag: pointandclick, do I find ALL "point and click adventures" and do I find ONLY "point and click adventures"? If you can answer both questions with yes, then you can remove the clickadventure tag. But I know that the answer is no. You would find games that are not pure adventures (which have more than only adventure genre marked) with point&click controls. But these are not what I understand of the subgenre point-and-click adventure.

2009-10-17
Search with exclusive genre filter is missing, yes. Entered issue #459 to fix this.

2021-11-12
The tag is not from me, but I have to defend it. The term "point & click" in computer games is mostly associated with adventure games. There exists a common expression "point and click adventure". There is no such expression for strategy games, management/business games etc, where mouse control via point&click is the normal control method. And I like tags that describe subgenres much more than tags which can be given for every second game in existance.

So, in my eyes a tag "point and click" is not needed. If you want to create this tag however the question is indeed whether the tag clickadventure is still needed or not. This question can be answered when another question can be answered. And that question goes: When I make a combined search of genre: adventure and tag: pointandclick, do I find ALL "point and click adventures" and do I find ONLY "point and click adventures"? If you can answer both questions with yes, then you can remove the clickadventure tag. But I know that the answer is no. You would find games that are not pure adventures (which have more than only adventure genre marked) with point&click controls. But these are not what I understand of the subgenre point-and-click adventure.

Old discussion I know :P
I'm having trouble defining the genre for graphical adventure with keyboard input but where you also move your character with keyboard (no mouse) but not really interactive fiction.

So games like King's Quest etc.

Any ideas?

2021-11-12
In my opinion I would use this wikipedia page as guideline where Point and click adventure games are clearly defined (and quite similar to our definition):
where the player typically controls their character through a point and click interface

We are now using clickadventure for different games like Chrono Quest that in my opinion should be just classified as interactivefiction

2021-11-12
I would not describe Chrono Quest as interactivefiction. But whatever. Kings Quest is difficult, because it looks like a point and click adventure but uses wordinput. I don't know if there is a special term for it. Its neither interactivefiction nor clickadventure.

2021-11-12
I would not describe Chrono Quest as interactivefiction. But whatever. Kings Quest is difficult, because it looks like a point and click adventure but uses wordinput. I don't know if there is a special term for it. Its neither interactivefiction nor clickadventure.

Exactly, I can live with chrono quest because you can actually click something with the mouse.
But we don't have a category for inbetween.

There are also some modern adventures that don't use a click interface monkey island 4 for example which is also not a click adventure.
Purely controlled via keyboard.

Back in the days they were simply called Graphical Adventures

2021-11-16
Of course point-and-click adventures often have the player doing many things in the game by pressing a button when a cursor is pointing at a specific place on the screen. I've probably got the wrong definition. Because I've never considered a mouse to be a strict requirement for this. Joysticks, trackballs, trackpads, motion controls, can all offer precision cursor movement. Or imprecise movement; say, moving a cursor on a grid or having the cursor jump between 'pointable areas'. As for actions, I think of the genre as offering 'VERB NOUN' equivalent functions using positional clicks. More specifically, clicking on visual, rather than textual, verbs and nouns. Verbs, in the case of graphical adventures, a pre-selected by clicking the interface before the game world OR are contextually determined by what part of the game world was clicked (click the closed DOOR to use the unseen 'OPEN' verb, Click the open DOOR to use the unseen 'CLOSE' verb). I've not considered the level of control offered by this design. ie: clicking to walk to a place in the game world rather than directional keys (or gamepad controls) is not something I consider a strict requirement for point-and-click adventures.

Some elements:
Click the game world for NOUN-VERB actions
Click the game world to explore it
Click the game world to discover/unlock new aspects of the game (puzzles)
Click the game world to advance story, narrative, or plot
Click the game world to navigate
Click the game world to solve puzzles
Click the interface to select verbs
Click the interface to select nouns
Click to engage in dialog
Navigating mazes
Use information or knowledge not found in the game

I think "Click the game world for VERB-NOUN actions" is the one required element.

2021-11-17
Yeah I think that scenario is well covered.
The only gap would be with graphical adventure with no clicking involved.