New platforms (2010)

2010-03-21
This is the new thread for proposing new platforms to be added.

So far we have these pending :

- ClickStart http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ClickStart
- digiBlast http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DigiBlast#digiBlast
- Didj
- Entertaible http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2010102,00.asp
- HyperScan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperScan
- Zune

These were already proposed, but were are not sure yet , please give your ideas :

- Handheld console with 20 games embedded. www.segaretro.net
- Java
- IQue Player ( maybe just a tag, as it is now? )
- Pandora
- HP-** - we already have HP-48 and HP-41 . Shouldn't we merge these two and use tag for all the other HPs ?

2010-03-29
GP32 was followed by the competing product, GP2X. Some of the same people developed both. Two different platforms despite some similarities.
GP2X was followed by the competing product, Pandora. Some of the same people developed both. Two different platforms despite some similarities. Pandora is not intended to compete with leading handhelds like DS or PSP but rather it is aiming a PDA and hobbyist markets. It will be competing with Gizmondo 2, if the Giz2 can survive the unrelated criminal activity of some of its developers. Pandora runs the Ångström operating system by default. It should be noted that Pandora can boot Debian or Ubuntu but as these must run on the ARM architecture and optimized for the Pandora's unusual hardware set. Thus Pandora/Debian, Pandora/Ubuntu, and Pandora/Ångström should all be added to the Pandora platform IMO. Adding these games to Linux with a Pandora tag seems contrary to what was decided with the GP2X. In this case the divergence is even farther between regular Linux and this unique platform. Linux games will require more than just simple compiling to be ported to Pandora, they need to be redesigned for the Pandora controls, limited memory, and 800x480 resolution.

Note, there's no reason Pandora cannot run Google Android. But, the hardware is not Android compliant, so this would fall under some other category akin to an emulator. Or this just outright means Pandora/Android games should be considered Android. But, we'll see how things progress.

Between Android, Linux distros, Java, & Flash. I'm staring to contemplate if we should come up with a more dynamic way of indicating platforms than the current 1 platform per game arrangment.

2010-03-29
iPodTouch and iPhone games go under iPhone (that could be renamed to "iPodTouch/iPhone" if neeeded and if nothing better comes ).
The others are leaft as they are, for now.

[quoteBetween Android, Linux distros, Java, & Flash. I'm staring to contemplate if we should come up with a more dynamic way of indicating platforms than the current 1 platform per game arrangment.

These four are "software" platforms that can be hosted on a multitude of different hardware. This is different form most of the other platforms that are strictly related, but it's not a problem I think.

A game running on Flash will not run on Java, and if it does, we have two similar, but different games.

2010-04-18 (updated 2010-10-07)
I estimate there are 200 OS/2 games. There's about 30 entered currently.

EDIT: 375 entered
EDIT 2: OS/2 platform now

2010-05-27
Philips VG5000.

Infos & games here (french) : http://vg5k.free.fr/

Made by Philips in 1984.

# Processeur Zilog Z80 4 MHz ;
# ROM : 18Ko include VG5000 Basic, (made from Microsoft Basic 80)
# RAM : 24Ko, (8Ko for the display)
# Videoprocessor : SGS Thomson EF9345

20 games + 1 tape containing 11 games.

It seems to have some Videopac clones/remakes : http://vg5k.free.fr/index.php?gosub=sEJ-gF15F]dX_nY8zA-4eCwE

2010-05-31
[[quote:Philips VG5000.

Infos & games here (french) : http://vg5k.free.fr/ ]]

in English

2010-05-31 (updated 2010-06-06)
I didn't notice the flags, thanks.

2010-06-16
3DS
This January I went to the NHK studios in Tokyo and they showed a glasses-less 3D technology.
Could not imagine Nitendo was going to release something like that in few months.

2010-06-16
Added OS/2 , Philips VG5000 and Nintendo 3DS

2010-08-31
MZ-2500 (SuperMZ) series
Launched in 1985, the computers in this series all used a Z80B processor running at 6MHz. They included a data recorder and at least one 3.5 internal floppy disk drive, as well as a YM2203 FM sound chip, hardware scrolling, and a palette of 256 colors (upgradable to 4096). This makes them among the most powerful 8-bit machines ever released for home use. Some models are also compatible with the MZ-80B and MZ-2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_MZ
http://mamedev.emulab.it/kale/?p=1193

Looks like quite different from the Sharp MZ-700 we already have

2010-10-07 (updated 2010-10-07)

Noticed Windows version of Angband was swapped to OS/2 instead of creating new entry (I re-added the Windows entry). There may be others that have been incorrectly switched instead of creating new entries.

2010-10-08 (updated 2010-10-08)
re: re:
[[quote:

Noticed Windows version of Angband was swapped to OS/2 instead of creating new entry (I re-added the Windows entry). There may be others that have been incorrectly switched instead of creating new entries.]]

Before we had the OS/2 platform, & after extensive investigation of OS/2 I entered or changed many OS/2 tagged entries as Win3.1. I may have missed a few legit Win3.1 entries.

2011-02-14
Casio Loopy, 5th generation cartridge-based system released in 1995 in Japan, 10 games only.
Sord M5, japanese home computer released in 1982 by Sord Computer Corporation, also called CGL M5 in some other countries included the UK. ~10 games were released (?)

2011-03-20
Tapwave Zodiac
This was a Palm OS handheld that came out back in 2003. I have only found 8 released SD titles for it although there are several downloadable games.

source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapwave_Zodiac

2011-03-20
re: Tapwave Zodiac
This was a Palm OS handheld

Would think the Palm platform is good enough, add a hardware tag to the games or something if it's not.
Quoted from Wikipedia, compatibility section on Zodiac:
The Zodiac is a PalmOS 5-compatible device, and most software compatible with PalmOS 5 runs without issue. In particular, most PalmOS 5-compatible games play on the Zodiac. Tapwave also provided proprietary APIs to allow developers to take advantage of the Zodiac's graphics and sound hardware

Would suggest as much. Add tag for the platform for games that specifically are programmed for it, otherwise they're PalmOS5 games.

2011-03-23
Here are the 8 games actually released for the Tapwave Zodiac on SD cards that only run on this platform...

Z- Pak Adventure
Doom II
Duke Nukem Mobile
Z- Pak Fun
GTS Racing Challenge
Hellfire: Tiger Team: Apache vs. Hind
Spy Hunter
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4

Whether you add this to the Palm platform or make a new one I believe it should be added somewhere as this was a gaming device that ran dedicated games.

2011-05-12
XavixPORT
XavixPORT on Wikipedia
2004 North America, Japan, Thailand, Russia. This system uses all wireless motion sensing controllers and is based entirely on human movement rather than having any buttons. All controllers are shaped like the virtual devices used in the game, ie: tennis rackets for tennis games, golf clubs for golf games, etc. Like the Milton Bradly Microvision, the CPUs (optional multiple CPUs) are contained in each cartridge instead of in the unit.

2011-05-30
Gamepark holdings is at it again with the GP2X Caanoo.

The Caanoo is not compatible with the previous models. However, minor source code changes are all that's required to port F100 to Wiz apps. (A simple compatibility layer would do it?)

Internal Graphics: 320×240 resistive touchscreen 3.5" LCD
External Graphics: 640×480
CPU: ARM926EJ 533z (overclockable to 750z without additional cooling)
GPU: Unknown OpenGL ES 1.1 compatible hardware acceleration (133M Texel/sec, 1.33M Polygon/sec)
RAM: 128Mb DDR SDRAM 133z (533 Mb/sec. 16 reserved for 3D video, should be adjustable via BIOS)
Internal Storage: 128Mb reserved for OS (not for user)
External Storage SD/SDHC memory cards (32Gb max)
USB 2.0 client (extension port)
USB 1.1 host (USB A port)
Haptic Feedback
Motion Sensors
Stereo, Microphone, Analog Stick, 9-buttons
Internal Power: 1850mAh LiPl (5-6 under maximum and 533z)
Closed Captioning via Microsoft's SMI/SAMI
No built-in WiFi

currently 71 games for Caanoo, not counting engines and emulators

2011-05-31
F100, F200, and GP Wiz are basically compatible. However, the F100 has fewer bits of hardware like buttons and a touchscreen (accessories). Compensating for these on the F100 is possible but not ideal for the end-user. Such as adding a USB mouse and driver with cursor for touchscreen games. Its better if the developers create their games with all devices in mind (most open source games have been adapted).
However, the Caanoo will not play unmodified software from previous units. However, source code changes all games to be made compatible for all systems. Caanoo games can be dual compatible, or Caanoo only.
This can all be thought of similar to the GBC/GB compatibility quirks. However, since the majority of the software is open source, incompatibility is a fixable problem, unlike GB/GBC.

2011-06-03 (updated 2011-06-08)
Livescribe

28 Commercial games so far
Seems ideal for educational games.
EDIT: Also while it would seem ideal for cheating on tests, such activities would actually create digital evidence. Stick to the answers written on the bubble gum tape kids.
EDIT 2: just found a special edition boxed game for this. Batman Begins: The Battle for Gotham City

2011-06-22
Haven't looked hard enough, but would it make sense to rename current iPhone platform to iOS? I think it's a group of devices that are compatible with each other. The games themselves might not be compatible across all current 4 hardware platforms that the iOS runs on, tho.

2011-07-11
Android has over 200 games already and the numbers are growing (the real number should be far greater actually), I'd think this would indicate it's good idea to separate it from the mobile platform (though technically Android would be a merger of Java and mobile platforms).

2011-07-18 (updated 2011-07-18)
Game Pocket Computer by Epoch, a handheld game console released in Japan in 1984, only 6 games were released.

2011-07-19 (updated 2012-01-15)
Android has over 200 games already and the numbers are growing (the real number should be far greater actually), I'd think this would indicate it's good idea to separate it from the mobile platform (though technically Android would be a merger of Java and mobile platforms).

Well if you want to reduce it to mergers, then it'd be a merger of Linux, Java and mobile. Though technically, its an OS running on a Linux kernel fork, Dalvik (a Java-like register-based software architecture that is not Android specific), and runs primarily on small battery operated computers typically including cellular capable hardware (but is by no means limited to small, battery operated, nor cellular).

Also, Oracle (now owners of the "open" Java standard) has sued Google for using "Java" (its a software patent based charge, for their "open" software). Some Google technology also requires keyboards, displays, a functioning human brain, and implied use of gravity; thus Google expects more lawsuits suit from Oracle. Anywho, this case will probably legally determine that Dalvik is not Java

Apparently Oracle does not claim Dalvik is Java. Google claims Dalvik is a clean-room reimplementation of certain Java functions to be used in a Java-like system (similar to Linux doing things like coping files and using directories in a UNIX-like way). Oracle has yet to dispute Google's claim. Rather Oracle claims a software patented 'method of handling class files' is infringed upon by Dalvik (since Dalvik also handles class files; ergo it most certainly 100% truly uses the precise same method as Oracle's Java and therefore a judge should not question it because they say so). Basically Oracle has no problem acknowledging Java is an open standard, can be legally reverse engineered, and freely used by all; but any one of these activities may infringe on their patents so 'HA, please use our Open Java and prepare for patent use fees!'.

2011-07-19
Except that vast majority of Linux apps won't run on Android without being specifically ported to it, so I'd ignore that. Same applies to Java games I think.

Unrelated to that, I'm unfortunately seeing a trend that a lot of the "better" games for Android are made for specific phone models (Xperia Play pops up ridiculously often, for one.. it's different from other Android phones in that it has PS style extra buttons in it).

2011-08-02
Dingoo A320, Gemei X760, Gemei X760+
The Dingoo A320 is probably one of the Gemei units with re-branding.
Multimedia players with SDL and OpenGL built in. Plays emulators of course but also original games.
The Linux distro for these is called Dingux and the usual suspects have been ported (DOOM, Quake, Exult, and so on).

2012-01-09
Unsticked.
In the forthcoming days I will check what platforms listed here need to be added.

2016-12-17 (updated 2016-12-17)
re: Tapwave Zodiac
This was a Palm OS handheld that came out back in 2003. I have only found 8 released SD titles for it although there are several downloadable games.

Would think the Palm platform is good enough, add a hardware tag to the games or something if it's not.

Would suggest as much. Add tag for the platform for games that specifically are programmed for it, otherwise they're PalmOS5 games.

Here are the 8 games actually released for the Tapwave Zodiac on SD cards that only run on this platform...

Z- Pak Adventure
Doom II
Duke Nukem Mobile
Z- Pak Fun
GTS Racing Challenge
Hellfire: Tiger Team: Apache vs. Hind
Spy Hunter
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4

Whether you add this to the Palm platform or make a new one I believe it should be added somewhere as this was a gaming device that ran dedicated games.

A Tapwave Zodiac group has been added. Zodiac games can be added to the Palm platform as separate entries since some games have separate versions specifically for Plam devices and the Zodiac (despite any interoperability that may occur)