About Agent X II: The Mad Prof's Back!

Now this game gives me trouble in figuring out whether a 128k version exists or not. "World of Spectrum" has separate methods to load the game, background music during the levels only when playing the 128k version. On my own Spectrum +2, I always get background music, in 128k mode as well as when switching down to 48k mode. So I can't say for sure yet if a special 128k mode exists and if it exists what the added features are.

2010-04-05
The box shot does say "48 128 PLUS 2", so maybe there isn't any enhancements, it's just compatible with them all.

2010-04-06
[[quote:The box shot does say "48 128 PLUS 2", so maybe there isn't any enhancements, it's just compatible with them all.]]

Thats always hard to figure out, because there are games that actually have enhancements. Take http://www.uvlist.net/game-12311-Buggy+Boy for example. When the box says 48 128 +2 then that generally means the game runs fine under all machines. A few 48k games don't run under 128k machines as far as I can tell.

I am rather new to the Spectrum scene and just recently bought myself a Spectrum +2 (a 128k machine with the ability to switch back to native 48k mode). Games are coming in rather fast and I wonder how to handle those games that have these "little" bonuses when running on a 128k machine. Is it legit that they have their own entry? Or is the platform Spectrum 128 meant for those games that only run on 128k machines? Or is a certain amount of enhancement necessary to justify its own entry. I am not sure about Buggy Boy itself. Maybe I should delete the 128 entry and just write something about the added music in the normal Spectrum ZX platform entry?!

2010-04-06
Sounds a bit like the Win95 games that are actually DOS games, but in their case it's simpler to see which they are.

Generally I'd suggest keeping both 48k and 128k entries regardless of any improvements on the 128k since we do have the two as separate platforms.

2010-05-01
I decided to create an extra tag for ZX Spectrum games that are generally standard 48K games but profit from being run on a 128K machine. The Spectrum 128 platform should only be for those games that are not playable on a Spectrum 48K. That should draw a clear line.