About OpenGL (Open Graphics Library;OGL)

2010-05-07 (updated 2014-04-18)
Note that no OpenGL release is 1:1 comparable to any DirectX release (e.g. OGL3.3 had features that were introduced in DX9 and DX10 separately).

OpenGL 3.0 was supposed to be a long overdue overhaul to the old and problematic state system OGL uses, but this was scrapped and has seemingly not been tried again.

Direct3D shader instructions (HLSL) can automatically be converted to open source compatible gaming libraries using the freely available hlslparser.

2010-06-25 (updated 2010-06-25)
I agree, OpenGL is at least 10th of a step ahead of D3D every time.

2010-06-25 (updated 2011-11-05)
10th of a step ahead in what? I never said it was ahead in anything, just that they don't do the same things.

Also:
GL3.3 had features that were introduced in DX9 and DX10 separately

DX9 was released back in 2002 while OGL 3.3 was in 2010, that's implementing something 8 years after. And even DX10 was released in 2006, which was 4 years before OGL 3.3. Can't remember what these features were, though, but it was very good point for pointing out that they weren't comparable 1 to 1.

Similarly, OGL 1.4 was released in 2004 while DX8 was released in 2002 (both introduced shaders: GPGPU). Though I'm not sure what version of shader model the 1.4's GLSL is comparable to, alternatively it could be same as SM2 and therefore it would've been released the same year as DX9 which gave that.

I'm not aware of other features currently.

Edit: Correction, DX8 was released in 2000, 2002 was DX9.

2010-11-05
Also, OGL does not guarantee anything to be hardware accelerated (a lot of the features aren't for normal desktop GPUs, you need professional GPUs to get that if they're even then). This isn't true for DX, however, as GPUs are not allowed to advertize support for features they don't do on hardware, but this was changed with DX10 or later (I forget), which made all features mandatory rather than allowing GPUs to omit some and providing more specific info in capability lists. The capability lists are still in use with latest OGL though, and they're unlikely to ever be removed unless the spec is split into basic spec (which would be used in games and such) and pro which would be used in other apps that benefit from it, such as 3D modeling.

Edit: As an example NVidia's GeForce line of cards support only the "limited" part of OGL spec useful for games and other things regular users need, while Quadro line of cards support the whole thing. For ATi the same thing applies with the difference of Radeon line of cards and the FireGL cards.

Edit 2: This is probably the only real thing OGL is better at than DX (if we ignore the cross-platform bit), its specification includes many things only useful for professional 3D work (producers), while DX is aimed more for end-users (consumers).