About Boardgame Tie-in

2011-01-11
To avoid confusion, the tag should be traditional game tie-in rather than board game tie-in if card games are to be included. I certainly have never heard of card games being considered of any kind of relation to board games other than that both are played commonly on a table (not game board, and that's unrelated).

Edit: like, we have traditional tag, so we could have `traditional-tiein´ for any games that have the tie-in relation but aren't direct adaptations of them (with `see also´ link to the traditional tag).

2011-01-11
In fact, I realized that some languages has a word that embraces board games and other "board games"-style that does not have any gameboard. In french : "jeu de société" embraces "jeu de cartes" and "jeu de plateau". In spanish, "Juego de mesa" embraces "Juego de cartas" and "Juego de tablero". Italian and english languages do not have this word that embraces these games.

However, Wikipedia states that "gameboards would seem to be a necessary and sufficient condition of the genre, though card games that do not use a standard deck of cards (as well as games which use neither cards nor a game board) are often colloquially included".

About the "traditional tie-in" tag you suggest, do you think a recent game like Uno can be considered as traditional ?

2011-01-12
Traditional style, not in the sense of being old. Something you don't need any modern technology to play, so Uno would count, but not Simon.

2013-03-13
American English "board game" weakly implies a gameboard. Seeing no board listed in the pieces of traditional game that said "board game" on the box would not cause most people to consider the lack. Yahtzee, for example, is considered a board game here.

2013-03-13 (updated 2013-03-13)
Yahtzee is more appropriately just dice game tho. The need for the papers to track things just make it harder without a "board" (table or other hard surface), and apparently in the original version the tracking "papers" were made out of cardboard.
American English "board game" weakly implies a gameboard.

This is probably because little distinction being made between board game and tabletop game, with most games that fit the latter being labeled as the former.

2013-03-15
American English "tabletop game" is rarely used. When it is, it is usually in reference to a simplistic "pen & paper RPG" or p&p RPG-Strategy games with miniatures or other 'table top' pieces. However, more complex pen & paper games are occasionally called. "tabletop" as well.
Note I am only relaying info. I'm not saying The American English usages are superior or the best way. Indeed, the English language sucks and American English is even worse.