About arcade and Neo-Geo

2013-11-04
I'm not sure about this... I thought the rule was to add games as "Arcade" if they weren't released on Neo Geo, or as "Neo Geo" if they were released on Neo Geo and Arcade, like King of Fighters games.

But then, I noticed that Samurai Shodown is entered as an Arcade game with the "Neo-Geo" hardware (that doesn't even appear on game page - why is that?).

Is it wrong for this game, should I remove the "Neo-Geo" hardware and change the platform to Neo-Geo?
It was also released on Neo-Geo CD, so should I clone the game for NGCD or should I simply add a CD-Rom tag?

I'm not familiar about arcade and Neo-Geo / Neo-Geo CD, so I don't really know which option is better.

2013-11-04
I can't remember, it was strange regardless. Forum search nor external google search isn't working for this for some reason but it was talked about in the past.

PlayChoice-10 is in similar confusing position.

2013-11-04
I can't remember, it was strange regardless. Forum search nor external google search isn't working for this for some reason but it was talked about in the past.

PlayChoice-10 is in similar confusing position.

I just did a search for "aes", and found this
http://www.uvlist.net/forum/thread/15081/highlight:aes

The easist way would be imho to treat this as three platforms:
- Arcade for Neogeo MVS releases, using appropriate tags for specifiying the hardware
- Neogeo for the Aes releases.
- Neogeo CD as distinct platform, so both simple ports as well as exlusives can have entries without any need for tags.

2013-11-04
So it was unsolved even back then.

Neo Geo CD wasn't an expansion to the old home console, so treating it as separate platform is fine I would think. AES/MVS situation is problematic mainly because it duplicates games with best for end-users method (separate arcade and home console platforms), while becomes confusing or poor choice for players/collectors if they're merged into either.

According to this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Neo_Geo_games Some MVS games were not available on AES but all of them were on MVS. Don't know how comprehensive or accurate that is tho.

2013-11-04
For a merged MVS/AES approach, I would prefer if everything would be found under the Neogeo platform rather than Arcade. Naming it properly as Neo Geo MVS/AES would make it apparent to any database user at once what the category contains.
The alternative would be to shove these into Arcade, delete the Neo Geo platform and specify Aes releases. This would however look a bit odd with the Neo Geo CD being it's own platform.

Instinctively, I'm still favoring the first approach, a split into three.

2013-11-04
Neo Geo CD doesn't seem to have exclusives, only some games that were for MVS but not for AES, so if AES/MVS is merged, Neo Geo CD should as well.
For a merged MVS/AES approach, I would prefer if everything would be found under the Neogeo platform rather than Arcade.

Yes. Neo Geo is better choice in this.

2013-11-04
There a few exlusive releases for the CD console, most of these exist however in prototype MVS form or were otherwise later assembled. The big exception is Samurai Shodown RPG.
See:
http://www.neogeoprotos.com/games/cdprotos.htm

I tend to prefer direct platform search rather than tags, but merging all three variants into one seems to be another suitable approach.

2013-11-04
I can only argue from a collectors point of view that I would like to have Neo Geo and Neo Geo CD stay splitted (similar to PC-Engine) because that way it is possible to mark cartridge and CD version separately. As a collector I consider that as two different "platforms" to collect for. Oh, and all major game databases split it as well (mobygames, gamefaqs etc.). So I think we are ok with the current platforms right now.

2013-11-04
The splitting is only good if you have no other way to present that information.

2017-11-25
Since I am nearing the NeoGeo (MVS) release date in my effort to chronologically enter games into UVL (not quite there yet but it will come soon), I wanted to dig up this old topic to explain how I am going to handle it based on the discussion in this old thread.

Only one Neo Geo platform which includes MVS, AES and CD (CD was already deleted as own platform). The games will get tags accordingly. The release date is the first release date (so mostly MVS). Other release dates could be written under editors notes for the moment. Some example searches showed me that there are still lots of NeoGeo MVS games under the Arcade platform as well. Those will be deleted. The Neo Geo platform page will be updated to explain the MVS+AVS+CD and "no duplicate ARCADE entry" topic.

2017-12-05
Good, the NeoGeo always bugged me, OK for deleting the arcade entries.
Too bad it is not possible to merge two games (sorry), but before deleting a game, I suggest you to delete the one with less played/own/etc. and eventually edit the game platform.

2018-01-13
Editors now can merge two games.
Votes, images, articles, reviews, xrefs, relations and tags can be moved from one game to another. More info on the editors Slack.