Critics might say that George Lucas mixed Flash Gordon and Akira Kurosawa, together with some science fiction novels, comic books, The Wizard of Oz, and sewed it all up with Joseph Campbell's ideas on the structure of myth...

2008-05-16
It does borrow ideas and concepts from great many places, but mostly from religion and other such things. I think Lucas has even admitted this himself, but I'm not entirely sure of it.

2008-05-18
He also borrowed from the movie, The Dam Busters, for the Death Star attack. A lot of the dialog was word for word and visuals were shot for shot.

The RS-D2 and C-3PO characters were borrowed from The Hidden Fortress. R2-D2 was also shaped by the robots in Silent Running.

Ya, he borrowed most of the movies, and he did a great job, especially the second time around (Original Trilogy Special Editions). Excluding that stupid 'Greedo shot first' scene. It was made clear to everyone who can read that first time that Han shot in self-defense and their was no need to insult the audience like that. And the Jabba in Ep. IV sceen was handled badly. Also, he could have done without the 3rd edition of the original trilogy 'restoration'. Well, I suppose that he could have done Ep.I-III better too. Or skipped them entirely. And the Driod movies weren't all that great. And the Christmas special is one of the worst things ever. And... OMG!!! I JUST REALIZED! STAR WARS SUCKS!!!
:) Joking actually. The Originally Trilogy was great and remains so