Fortnite as a platform ?

2024-03-03
Last December Epic launched three games "inside" Fortnite sponsored by Lego: a survival game, a rhythm game and a racing game.
They are launched from the Fortnite menu page, but are games on their own, and deserve a proper entry.

Two more Lego games are coming now, and more games sponsored by Disney will too.

Not sure what to do here, but for sure I don't want an entry of one of those games for every system that runs Fortnite, it doesn't make much sense as they are all the same, they rely more on Fortnite than the hardware itself.

It seems more like the Pico-8 software platform, which runs games independently of the underlying hardware.

What is your opinion?
Have we already handled something similar differently?

2024-03-03
re: Fortnite as a platform ?

Not sure what to do here, but for sure I don't want an entry of one of those games for every system that runs Fortnite, it doesn't make much sense as they are all the same, they rely more on Fortnite than the hardware itself.

Well if you had not asked this questions I would have done it exactly as you would not like it to do. Make Windows/Mac/Whatever entries from them and use a tag to declare them as fortnite-service game or whatever.

What is your opinion?
Have we already handled something similar differently?

Don't know. But it gives me the same feeling as with the Stadia platform. I was not particularly happy about that one (online service = platform). And today its a dead platform. Really dead, not like old computers/consoles which you can still play on or emulate. I don't know how many other publisher could create something like this in the future. As a traditionalist I cringe at the thought of a "Fortnite" platform.

My concrete proposal:
Look at the following two sites and how they are going to solve it. If both of them create a Fortnite platform or place the new sub-games under a different platform name then do the same. As long as they don't, don't as well.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/games/systems
https://www.mobygames.com/platform/

The fact alone that they both have Stadia as a separate platform led me to accept the platform in UVL.

2024-03-03
Thank you, I really appreciated you input.
Other sites have not addressed the issue yet, or have added entries for each platform.
I briefly thought about adding a multi-platform functionality to UVL just to address this, but it requires a huge amount of fixes all over the site. Nope.

I'll add the games in the usual way.