About Double Dragon

I played lots of other "Double Dragon" versions so far and wondered how the NES version would turn out to be. Well it was quite different and had much more changes compared to the arcade original than other home conversions. The level structure is a bit different. There is no cooperative mode. Instead the 2-player mode is a hot-seat mode with the players taking turns, which is quite lame. There is an extra 1 vs. 1 battle mode that lets you choose a character to battle against another character that only appears in the NES version. Graphics and music are really well done compared to other NES games of its time. However there is only a maximum of two enemies on screen simultaneously. I am not so fond of the controls. They are what you would expect from an early beat'em up game but the fighting didn't feel really good to me. And there are too many sections with platform / jumping scenes, especially in the third level, that don't work very well with this kind of game. So in the end it is a graphically very good game with average playability.