2023-06-22
I wanted to open up another round of discussion about the kind of tags I do not like to be used. Anti-tags. This time for games that are emulated by Mame and which are not.

Currently we have:
- mame (emulated by Mame)
- nomame (not emulated by Mame)
- mamenotplayable (emulated by Mame, but not yet playable)

Now I have to mention that UVL started as an Arcade game database. And when tags were introduced later, Mame was still arcade only. It was before the project merged with Mess.

1.) I got some big problems with nomame and mamenotplayable. Those are maintenance intensive tags. Those are tags that could change. I hate tags that can change and become wrong. Good tags are "forever". I don't see that anyone is curating those tags. I bet that over the many years lots of nomame games are supported by mame and we have wrong information. But I do not want to put work into that. I would rather like to remove those two tags. The tag mame is enough. It is a positive tag. If a game is runnable with mame it will always be runnable with mame (or with an old version of mame).

2.) Now that Mame is merged with Mess we should make clear if the Mame tag still only applies to arcade games or for other platforms emulated by Mess as well. If we keep the tag mame then I think we should restrict it to arcade platform. No one could do the research for all the other million possible emulated games on other platforms via Mess.

3.) New emulator tags in general should be created with big care. I would suggest not to create new emulator tags. Emulators are ever changing and do not describe a game. In case of Mame I want to keep it. I think the admin will want to as well, because of UVL history. Links to best emulator(s) for a platform could be added to platform pages. There is no need and its impossible to try to track emulation status of single games. And in the end I have to do a clean-up.

Oh and now I saw another problematic emulator anti-tag. scummvm-wip ...And a short check for Ultima 6 which has this tag results that the tag is wrong, because its supported now. So you see, please don't create such tags. They become wrong and no one will maintain it. I request to remove the scummvm-wip tag as well.

2023-06-22
I don't like these at all.
Anything that changes may it be a game service like Onlive / Stadia / that are just prone to be gone will be eventually outdated.
And yes also with mame / Scummvm and the sorts.

No one will touch these and they'll get oudated very quick.
I see that on some gamedatabases where half the links to some other sites are dead.

2023-06-23
You have dedicated yourself with a lot of work in the matter of the Tags; And as a MAME player, it is true that the platform is incorporating and innovating in how to emulate many games that just a few months ago were not playable. I like that the tag is written in a positive sense.

2023-06-24
I just saw that Andrea (the admin) has to look into this. Because when you enter an arcade game without any mame tags there is a editor suggestion to give one of the three tags. I cannot change those "tag suggestions". So I cannot remove the "nomame" and "mamenotplayable" tags for now. Oh well, has to wait then.