Although the base game concept is interesting as social simulation game, the game only includes one small town to play in and sell additional towns as microtransactions for about 25USD/20EUR (that's for single town), there's also other limitations which aren't as egregious as this. But I don't think I need to really go into detail on the game beyond this. It's a money milker for EA, but considering how successful the game has been, I rather question the players who actually fall for this rather than EA for doing it. I bought the game when it was discounted at "low" 15EUR price itself (from original 50EUR) and I can say that the game is hardly worth even that much. Maybe if it was like 10EUR with towns being 2EUR or so, I might consider it reasonable. There's also DLC expansions that cost the same as the base game itself.

Unfortunately popularity (or market hype?) of Sims series has made it pretty certain there won't be any serious competition, it also allows EA to continue producing inferior games for ridiculously high price.

As a game, it's decent I think, but in terms of value vs price, you're paying 100-1000 times more than you should be. Hence, don't buy any Sims games outside of significant (>60%) discounts.