2007-01-06 (updated 2021-01-12)
Star Ship, for the Atari Video Computer System, is a highly underrated game. Released at a time when little existed besides Pong, this program, featuring a first-person space battle (Star Ship), a first-person space travel game (Warp Drive), and a lunar lander game (Lunar Lander, not to be confused with Atari's later and admittedly better Lunar Lander arcade game which came out two years later) must have had an effect on gamers similar to that of Star Wars on its initial audiences.
While relatively rudimentary, the games (this cartridge contains three different games!) are most fun when played on the higher difficulty settings, and also with a second player. Also, certain strategies can be used to increase a player's score in the deceptively simple games (they're only simple if you're not concerned with scores).
The graphics of Star Ship may consist of little more than blocks (what do you expect from a 1977 game?), but the games feature solid gameplay for those who are willing to search for it.
Give Star Ship a try, but don't just turn the game on and start playing...you will be bored. Instead, give your 'Game Select' switch a workout and explore this cartridge; I recommend variations 4, 11, and 14 for one-player games.
In case some of you are wondering, this is not a nostalgia kick. In fact, Star Ship was ancient before I was even born (1985). I found this cartridge at a used video game store a year ago. I disliked it at first, but the more I explored it, the more I fell in love with it. My X-Box-playing friends hated it at first and laughed at it, but before long they really got into it, especially the 2-player games (going so far as to interrupt Halo sessions to play Star Ship!).