About Crusader: No Remorse

2008-10-13
I don't remember the Wing Commander reference in this game, but don't you think this could just be an Easter Egg? Origin liked to cross-reference their games. In Ultima 7 for example a Kilrathi spaceship stood on a (not-accessible) field and the farmer told about last night when he watched that catlike creature emerging from the machine. I think the wingcommander tag might be a bit far-fetched for Crusader.

2008-10-13 (updated 2008-10-13)
Not in the Crusader games, but in Wing Commander. This is supposed to be the past, so referencing something that happens in the future would be quite odd indeed. Anyway, I based that wing commander relation to what was mentioned in Wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusader:_No_Remorse#Notes), and since I personally haven't played WC much I can't be sure of that. Same universe, far different point in time.

And in terms of references between games, I dislike them when they seem ridiculous, like the Brotherhood of Nod base in Lands of Lore 2 or 3. But this (Crusader/Wing Commander) one makes more sense.

I think the wingcommander tag might be a bit far-fetched for Crusader.

A lot less so than that Ultima 7 case. Still, the reference between the games is in some Wing Commander game, not this, so they should be investigated if possible and see if the reference is worth noting. Or if any of the people involved with the games have actually mentioned that they're in the same universe, then the tag would be appropriate.

I don't mind the tag being removed, however.

2008-10-14
relationships seems sufficient for this, no tags needed in this case

2008-10-14
We don't have any appropriate relation for it. Crusader doesn't belong to the same _story_ as the Wing Commander games and therefore can not be placed in sequel/prequel kind of relationship and regardless of that if the games are in the same universe tags are the appropriate path for it, not relations. Though if we get "referenced in" relation, then we _do_ have appropriate relations (just wish we could use tags instead of game IDs for some of those relations).

2008-10-15 (updated 2008-10-15)
In the chronology of the game, the last of one series is the first of the other. Sequel/prequel. It's just not a "direct" sequel. Such relations are not without precedent. Asimov's Robots series and Foundation series by have sequels that are separated by as much as 25000 years. The wing commander series seems to be a sequel in as similar way. The spaceship in Ultima does not clearly represent a sequel/prequel, this is definitely a referenced by/references relationship. A relation I think we should have.

Oh, and the Zelda sequels have hundreds of years between them. But they are similar to each other so this isn't quite the same. Although the series could sill take this route. At one time there was talk of a cyberpunk Zelda with Link riding around in a mega-metropolis on an 'Epona hoverbike' and battling an evil cooperation under the control of a 'Ganon'. The idea seems to be scrapped for now but some of elements ended up in Twilight Princess.

2008-10-15
There's a difference between purely historical chronological order of events and story sequence and I don't think we should mix sequel/prequel relations with both, making Crusader games ineligible for that relation with Wing Commander games. Crusader games have no story-based relation with Wing Commander games and as such I wouldn't call them prequels to WC.

As an example we have several historical games, set in various times in the real world's past and future, yet they don't get prequel/sequel relations - for the same reason Crusader and Wing Commander shouldn't (and it isn't maintainability).

Though I believe we discussed this at length when the relations bit was being added to UVL and I also believe we already established when to use them and when not to.

And for the record, Wing Commander tag is not (or shouldn't be) shorthand for Wing-Commander-Spaceflight-Sims-And-Nothing-Else, more like Wing Commander universe. A bit like Forgotten Realms and such tags are.

If we're to record purely chronological order with no relation to story I want new relation type for it or try that chronological order thing I suggested somewhere.

2010-04-17 (updated 2010-04-18)
ZorkVerse (the fan's name for it) was created to solve this problem for the Zork games and other games in the same universe but not officially of the Zork series.

crusader-wingcommander-universe
wing-crusaderverse?
crusader-wingverse?

EDIT: come to think of it, we should establish a rule for this. a hierarchy to decide how name a whateververse.

possibilities:
derive one from the overwhelmingly common fan name (this can become outdated)
name it after the first game in the fictional chronology
name it after the latest game in the fictional chronology (this can become outdated)
name it after the first game released that references the other
name it after the first game released that is referenced by the other
name it after the latest game released that references the other (this can become outdated)
name it after the latest game released that is referenced by the other (this can become outdated)
name it after the first game released regardless of reference direction
name it after the latest game released regardless of reference direction (this can become outdated)
name it after the game series with the most titles in its lineup (this can become outdated)
combine the names (this can become outdated and create long tags)