What to do with Consoleclassix tags now that site is down?

2022-12-30
I would like to know what should be done with the > 3500 tags for games that were related to the consoleclassix.com website.

https://www.uvlist.net/groups/info/consoleclassix
https://www.uvlist.net/groups/info/noconsoleclassix/
https://www.uvlist.net/groups/info/consoleclassix-pending/

The site seems to be down. Doubtful that it will reappear. Since this tag/game group was created and maintained by Zerothis I would especially would like to know what he thinks about it. I personally suggest mass-deleting all related tags, because the tags do not describe the game and consoleclassix never was something that had any impact and there weren't updates for years. And now that its no longer available the rest of its usefulness is gone.

2022-12-31
I'm personally no big fan of store tags like GOG/Humble/Consoleclassix or others.
I would be also for full purge

2023-01-25
Do we record only what is current or do we archive historical data?
I would point out that there are numerous tags for many systems at UVL that apply to defunct services for Megadrive, Intellivision, Atari VCS, Atari 8-bit, NES, SNES, Apple II, Mac OSC, DOS, Saturn, Playstation, GameCube, DS. More that I dont remember or don't know abkut. Will we delete services tags for Wii, Wii-U, Switch, PS#? Then Steam dissapears at some point as well. There are times when some games were only available via a service. Deleting a service tag would be a simular effect to deleting a publisher.

That said, 'pending' and 'not' variants of services tags are of little historic value.

2023-01-25
Do we record only what is current or do we archive historical data?

I don't think that topic has been discussed so far.

I would point out that there are numerous tags for many systems at UVL that apply to defunct services for Megadrive, Intellivision, Atari VCS, Atari 8-bit, NES, SNES, Apple II, Mac OSC, DOS, Saturn, Playstation, GameCube, DS. More that I dont remember or don't know abkut. Will we delete services tags for Wii, Wii-U, Switch, PS#?

I think there are noteworthy services that should be tagged, especially when its a service of the platform provider like Nintendo Virtual Console etc. But not for all. I think its a matter of importance of the service in relation to the number of services. With consoleclassix I don't see the importance or impact.

Then Steam dissapears at some point as well. There are times when some games were only available via a service. Deleting a service tag would be a simular effect to deleting a publisher.

I think Steam won't disappear because there are games that were explicitly distributed via Steam and thus Steam belongs into the history of the game as would tags like 525disk for old computer games. Also, Steam games are normally not re-releases. GOG has also new exclusive games, I am not sure. Consoleclassix is emulation of old games, similar as starting an emulator inside archive.org. Now that the site is dead the tag feels just so dead.

That said, 'pending' and 'not' variants of services tags are of little historic value.

My proposal is this. The tag consoleclassix will stay for the time being. I put up a Waybackmachine Link into the group description and will add/edit parts the lengthy description text a bit to explain that it became defunct. The tags noconsoleclassix and consoleclassix-pending will be deleted.

EDIT: Just when I tried the link... the site is back after being down for 2 months. https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/yv9yst/consoleclassixcom_gone/
Without any explanation. I don't know what to make of it. Guess its better to have it still available so the tag does not lead to a dead site/service. But I suppose that the service is not really in active development and the noconsoleclassix and pending tags could be deleted.

2023-01-31 (updated 2023-01-31)
Well, if noteworthyness is the standard...
I believe Console Classix was first to offer digital download rental of cartridge based games. And, first (the only?) to use a business model that did not require publisher or developer contracts for such service.

Also, as a general rule. Catastrophies in the world have been known to create years long delays is services. Consider that 1984 had Guinness Book of World Records prepared to remove all home video games records because it was over, there were never going to be home video games again.

The WW2 Cold War has greatly delayed videogame information from passing over the Urals. One could say, for UVL, the Cold War ended only recently.

Apartheid is still preventing information ahout Zulu game developers from reaching UVL editors.

I suspect there was some recent world changing catastrophy with effects that eventually effected Console Classix.

Do you suppose that the effects of Apartheid on video games will ever be documented in a school text book? Well, they are documented at UVL. A way they could not be documented here is by ignoring a just few obscure systems and services.

2023-01-31
Well, if noteworthyness is the standard...
I believe Console Classix was first to offer digital download rental of cartridge based games. And, first (the only?) to use a business model that did not require publisher or developer contracts for such service.

I know what you mean. I just think that for such instances creating a proper Wikipedia article would fit better. UVL framework fits much better in conserving information for games than for side-related stuff. Having ever-changing external services as tags makes maintenance hard. But as I said the site is back. The tags are still there and I don't expect changes on the consoleclassix site itself. Which is also a reason that I will eventually remove the noconsoleclassix and -pending tags.