2008-08-07
I know there was a game called that for C64 and possibly for NES too. Googling with various search terms was fruitless for me (found only few sites where the title was mentioned, but nothing too solid and one description of the game was wildly different from what I remember the game to be). And there are a number of "castlemania" threads about the castlevania series by its fans.

If anyone can find info of the game, please add the game or reply to this thread with the relevant info (and sources).

The only information I remember about it that it had a side-view of castle like levels with you running around bashing monsters with hammer or something. My memory of the game is a bit vague as it's among the first I've played.

2008-08-07
I doubt there exists a game for the C64 with this name. www.gamebase64.com doesn't have it in its database and they are by far the completest site about C64 games I know. So unless CastleMania is an extreme obscure mini-game then I believe that the game you a searching for has a different name.

2008-08-07 (updated 2008-08-07)
If it isn't castlemania then it's something close to it that I can't figure out. And it was about as minigame as any other games of that time.

Edit: Mr. Do's Castle looks like the game, but the name doesn't ring a bell, so I must assume it was rebranded or released under castlemania or similar title in Europe or something. Still, there are references to CastleMania for NES/C64 in the net, so there's _some_ game under that title if not this.

Edit 2: Seems like google is devoid of any information about it. So, either it was published only in very limited area (gaining little popularity) or it's some pirate version of it. Considering I had never even heard of Mr. Do until recently, I assume it was some localized thing. Although my memory says the color scheme was much darker and the monsters possibly different, so rebranding is more likely (and possibly the mr. do version not being the original, but much more popular).

2008-08-08
Yes, maybe CastleMania is an unofficial reprogrammed version of Castle of Mr. Do. Gamebase64 for example has one of those "changed" versions in the list. Its name is "El Sueño" and its a spanish version (but I assume its not official). I don't think that there is a NES version though. NES games are really well documented in the internet and you would surely find something if it existed.

2008-08-08
Still, we need a verifiable source for it. Can't go with vague memory with this :\

2008-08-10
[[quote:I doubt there exists a game for the C64 with this name. www.gamebase64.com doesn't have it in its database and they are by far the completest site about C64 games I know.]]

I own dozens of games that arn't at gamebase64

2008-08-10
Googling shows that other people have a vague memories of this game too. Obviously its existence is confirmed but the details are missing. Note that in the early days of computers many people created games, even great games, that spread around without being 'published'. Akalabeth was one of these that was later published so is remembered. Some people still have copies of the previous Akalabeths and these are only available now because Ricard Garriot published and founded a successful company and the Ultima series. Without this fame, all those Akalabeths would be out their on a bunch of Apple ][ disks (or long since erased) and we eventually be debating its vaugness here at UVL.

However, there is a possible solution. Add it to UVL and wait for other people to fill in the details. They'll never come to UVL to fill in the details if the game entry isn't here and therefore on search engines.

Note: Every game I initially added for Odyssey² and Apple ][ were from memory only, making the entries title only. All but 6 Apple entries are now filled in with at least a company and most with additional information. I added a major portion of the Odyssey² platform entries as title only, currently it is at a relatively respectable 43.9% completion rate with a 100% company rate. This is because people found the incomplete entries and filled in the details. I wonder how many of those people would have never added these games themselves?

2008-08-10
This thread should already be caught by Google, and I added note earlier about the name in Mr. Do's Castle which outwardly resembles it, so hopefully they're enough to lure in people who "know".