2014-07-01
How about cloning a group same as cloning a game? This is helpful for groups with the same parents, links, similar descriptions, and/or characters.

2014-07-01
Probably too rarely has use compared to game cloning to be very useful outside of generating decade/century tags the first time.

2014-07-02
Granted, most groups that would benefit from this feature have probably already been entered. But there are still historical tags, locations, OS versions yet to be entered. But even single cloning for locations, development systems, and whatever, could save time. I thought about it today when repeating one of the same actions I've often done in the past; need to create 2 groups (up to 7 groups in the past) with almost the same title, information, parent, and description. (don't know why I never thought about it before)

Here's the steps I took today with only two groups
Choose between tagging a game then clicking plus, or type the add group URL directly
enter the title
enter the description
choose origin
choose type
choose status
submit
add main description article
copy all
Choose between tagging a game then clicking plus, or type the add group URL directly
paste the info
move title info in title
minorly format title (its a variant of the original, leading/trailing spaces)
minorly format description sans title info (its a variant of the original, leading/trailing spaces)
choose origin
choose type
choose status
submit

Now with theoretical group clone:
Click-clone any group (rather than my other two previous choices)
overwrite the title
overwrite the description
*choose origin
*choose type
choose status
submit
Click-clone this group
minorly format description sans title info (its a variant of the original, leading/trailing spaces)
submit

*these are optional as I can clone a group I know has the right ones

For only 2 entries, I can reduce my steps as much as 42.1052632%. As some of steps took so long, I've saved a lot more time than that (50% of UVL's content could potential benefit from me having more time).

If I were to do seven clones, (historical tags, locations, OS versions), I would save 65.8823529% percent of my steps and a exponential boost in time saving. This could be the difference between only entering one game, all those new groups, tagging a dozens of existing games with them; or all that and entering 10 new games in the same amount of time. Or instead of 10 new games, screenshoting and describing 3 games that had none.
with clone
Click-clone any group (rather than my other two previous choices)
overwrite the title
overwrite the description
*choose origin
*choose type
choose status
submit
Click-clone this group
submit
Click-clone this group
submit
Click-clone this group
submit
Click-clone this group
submit
Click-clone this group
submit
Click-clone this group
submit

without clone
enter the title
enter the description
choose origin
choose type
choose status
submit
copy all
paste the info
move title info in title
choose origin
choose type
choose status
submit
copy all
paste the info
move title info in title
choose origin
choose type
choose status
submit
copy all
paste the info
move title info in title
choose origin
choose type
choose status
submit
copy all
paste the info
move title info in title
choose origin
choose type
choose status
submit
copy all
paste the info
move title info in title
choose origin
choose type
choose status
submit
copy all
paste the info
move title info in title
choose origin
choose type
choose status
submit

2014-07-02
*choose origin
*choose type

*these are optional as I can clone a group I know has the right ones

This could be covered by the new group page remembering the last used for those like new game page remembers the platform. The rest not quite, but you can copypaste them usually fast enough.

2014-07-02
This would help, yes. But it introduces a mislabeling threat for every group entry. Currently if an editor does not remember to choose origin and/or type, submitting the form fails and they asked to choose. the missing information. With a remembering feature and this scenario, the wrong origin and type would be entered without warning.